Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Authors Behaving Badly: The Amoral Ways of Rumpole's Creator John Mortimer, Graham Greene and Other Beloved Writers

 
Graham Lord at the British newspaper the Daily Mail reports on the amoral and awful behavior of John Mortimer, the author of the Rumpole stories, Graham Greene, and other beloved authors.

John Mortimer was a hugely talented writer and barrister: clever, witty, mischievous, naughty, jolly, charming and funny; an immensely loveable man who was irresistble to womaen and inspired affection in almost everyone who met him, including me. 

I knew him well for many years, and have a sheaf of affectionate cards and letters that he sent me over the years.  But, sadly, I discovered a very different man when I started to worte his biography in 2003, initially with his blessing. 

When the book was eventually published in 2005, it was so critical of him and his amoral behavior that he was urged by relatives and friends to sue me. 

 'I can't,' he said miserably. 

 'Why not?' 

 'Because it's all true.'

You can read the rest of the story via the below link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2184713/The-amoral-man-I-knew-Charming-yes-But-I-discover-Rumpoles-creator-hypocrite-sexual-excesses-pained-family.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

No comments:

Post a Comment